May 12, 2019

UPDATE: I made it to the USA!

I'm currently writing this in my room at a farm called Eden Hall, after finishing lengthy papers in 2 subjects; one that is in Norway and another here in Pittsburgh, USA! Well, bear with me as my mind is as dry as knekkebrød (norwegian crisp bread). But I decided to squeeze it some more by writing about what's happening in my life these days. Not that I'm a celebrity and millions of people would go crazy reading this, but it's more like my release (feelings and thoughts), in hope of finding some inspiration along the way.

So let's backtrack a little bit. Three weeks ago I was in Trondheim with my husband having some sushi. I got a text from SAS Airline that says my flight to Pittsburgh was cancelled. I admit I panicked, just because if I didn't make it to US before the first day of school, my visa would be cancelled. Diana, my classmate who's travelling to US with me, and I decided to go to Oslo and beg for another flights. We'd probably find some from the capital. So, after 8 hours bus ride, we arrived to Oslo. And fortunately, they rebooked us to the next morning flight and covering free hotel and meal.

The next morning, I woke up early to get to the airport. And while checking in, they said I couldn't fly because I needed to get a Canadian visa, even though it was only a connection flight. My world collapsed, seriously as I see Diana get through the check-in. Plus, that manager who I kept begging didn't care at all and just walked away without entertaining my questions! I ran to SAS counter, checked if they could rebooked me. The lady said just get a visa, which for sure would take me days to get approved. I asked the man standing if he could me. I even said it in norwegian. Well, he did. An angel in disguise. I was crying in front of him, I couldn't stop it. I was so tired since the long bus ride, not to mention I was still suffering from jet lag from our vacation to Philippines.

After few hours, I found myself in Amsterdam airport. Oh I love that airport! Charming and the vibe was so uplifting. Okay, so from Amsterdam, everything became smooth. The flight was ok although we arrived late. I also didn't manage to sleep but that's the least of my problem. In my head, I just wanna get to my destination.

Chicago, my connecting flight to Pittsburgh. The immigration line was crazy! It took me forever to get to the officer for my stamp. I was asking the asian lady to help me to skip the line so I won't miss my flight which was in 30mins! She said NO! Well, guess what, I missed it. It was impossible to catch up. It was in  another terminal. What a luck!

But, blessing in disguise, the flight was cancelled due to snow! Well, I still dropped in my bag and went to the other terminal, wearing my spring weather clothes. It was EXHAUSTING! But I was already in America so I didn't really care.

Again, I found myself in a long queue of people asking for new flights. A filipina looking lady entertained me. She was so nice and professional. She didn't ask so much questions. She even gave me meal vouchers, which of course I expected somehow. She booked me for 9pm, from my original 4pm flight, which was the only option. I went to the gate early and tried to find some 10 dollar worth meal. It was cold inside that airport so I decided to walk some more until I got tired. I sat at this bench at my respective gate. I think I fell asleep for an hour. There was this guy who started a conversation. He's very nice and I found out he's a preacher who lives in Texas.

At 8:45, the ground staff already called out for boarding. Our flight was delayed because they had to remove snow on the wings and tail of the plane. I just wore my sleeping mask and there I was, knocked down for hours.

At 1 am, FINALLY I arrived in Pittsburgh! I hurried to get a WIFI connection so I could contact the person picking me up. I told them 12mn and I arrived 1 hour late. I picked my bag and checked if he sent a message. And, lucky me they waited. We drove for more than an hour until we reached the student dorm. I got the key and went straight to the room, set up everything and SHUT MY BRAIN DOWN.

Finally, I made it to my destination!

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comment below.